It can be all too easy to fall into the practice of planning predictable curriculum themes year after year. However, despite the learning opportunities that seasonal and celebration themes can present, they may not interest all children and can inhibit children from following their own natural learning interests. Repeated themes can also become monotonous for Educators where it may be difficult to feel enthused and excited by a particular topic, if repeated on a continuous basis.
Emergent curriculum is a way of planning curriculum that focuses on being responsive to children's interests to create meaningful learning experiences. It can be used with any age group from babies to pre-school children. Emergent curriculum is based on the idea that children have a voice in their own learning choices and that children learn best when curriculum experiences represent their interests, strengths, needs, and lived experiences.
This continuining professional development programme by Meantóir, will enable the educator to understand what emergent curriculum is and how to implement this pedagogical strategy when working with babies, toddlers and pre-school children. Components include:
1. The background to emergent curriculum and how does it link to curriculum and quality frameworks?
2. What is emergent curriculum, what it is and what it isn’t!
3. What do I need to think about when implementing an emergent curriculum?
4. Planning an emergent curriculum for babies, toddlers and pre-school children
5. The role of the skilled early childhood educator.
* The resource documents section contains 7 printable handouts including sample inquiry-based activities, planning templates, a sample curriculum statement and further information to support the programme content.
*PLEASE READ YOUR 'NOTES FOR THE COURSE' BEFORE STARTING YOUR PROGRAMME*
1. To develop and understanding of emergent curriculum- what it is and what it is not
2. To be aware of how the princples of emergent curriculum is linked to curriculum and quality frameworks
3. To understand the key components of emergent curriculum and to assess the presence of these components in current practice
4. To implement a practical framework for planning for emergent skills and interests for babies, toddlers and young children
5. To recognise and develop the key role of the educator in providing inquiry based learning for young children.
Presentation with video/audio
Easy to follow components
Downloadable reference documents
Test multiple choice questions
Certificate of Completion